Malicious Software and how to keep yourself from succumbing to them.
Malware is short for malicious software and comes in many different forms. While some may believe that its purpose is to slow down or make a computer unusable, in reality that’s only a side effect. The main focus is to bypass security or steal information. This leads to the question; what types of malware are there and how can I protect myself against them?
Malicious software comes in many different varieties, but some are more common than others.
- The most common type is the Worm. These get into a computer through system openings and can spread without human influence.
- Another is a Virus, which is often used as a blanket term for all malware, these are used for the same reasons as worms but generally need human interaction to spread.
- Another fairly common form is Adware, which is responsible for most pop-ups on sites for free software or other shady offers. While annoying, if not harmless, by themselves they are usually paired with dangerous malware like Spyware.
- Spyware, as it sounds, is software that spies on an infected computer. This could be through recording keystrokes, monitoring your display or even the camera.
- Ransomware again is a bit self-explanatory as it encrypts a computer’s files so the user cannot access them unless a ransom is paid out to the hacker. Here is a link to one of our trusted partners at datto explaining the different forms of Ransomware.
- The last main type is what’s called a Trojan Horse. These are disguised as normal programs but are a way to trick individual into downloading malware.
Cybersecurity can be scary! But it is actually quite easy to stay safe!
Now the question is how do I protect myself against Malicious Software?