October is National Cybersecurity Awareness Month (NCSAM)!
Now is the perfect time to talk about being safe online!
One of the most important things to remember for cyber security is that everyone needs to be active in it. It only takes one person clicking a sketchy download from a phishing email to compromise an entire network. Knowing how to be safe online does not require you to learn a load of technical jargon. You simply need an idea of what actions could be detrimental and be able to keep an awareness for anything that seems fishy. This can keep you much safer.
There are lots of actions you can take to increase your safety such as:
- Checking that your system is running up-to-date security programs and read up on what scams and exploits people are using.
- Making sure you have an enterprise-grade firewall protecting your business.
- Backing-up all of your data so that you are ready for the worst.
- Implementing user-based security and permissions to minimize human errors.
- Getting a password and document manager to ensure password security.
- You could even enlist the services of a certified ethical hacker to test your system’s security and inform you of any vulnerabilities they find.