The Lighthouse IT Podcast - June 4th, 2021
Nestle's getting a run for their money as my favorite QUIK (QUIC)
Google's internet standard for transmitting data just got greenlit as an approved standard for internet communication.
The standard, called Quick UDP Internet Connections or QUIC, uses UDP over the standard TCP for transmitting data.
By using UDP, faster transmissions between devices is possible, but UDP has an inherent issue with the quality of that data. QUIC builds upon this by using UDP's strength but incorporating more reliability.
QUIC isn't necessarily new to Google customers though, it was introduced in Chrome and quietly became the standard communication method by which Chrome communicated with Google services.
Jailbroken Apple AirTag is Never Gonna Give You Up
Let's go ahead and mark this as one of the reasons that I love the internet. Using a power glitch trick, a researcher was able to "jailbreak" the Apple AirTag.
When found an Apple AirTag is able to report to any NFC device a URL that provides owner information. By grabbing the firmware and modifying it slightly, a researcher was able to change the URL used by the device.
In all that I can say makes me happy to be a nerd, the URL used was Rick Astley's Never Gonna Give You Up, meaning your next scan of a lost AirTag could result in an unexpected Rickroll.
Netflix Reportedly Hiring Executive For Expansion Into Video Games
- Netflix is going to take a large step outside of their comfort zone and into the world of video games.
- They have approached several veteran game industry executives regarding their want to expand into video games.
- Netflix found success with the interactive film, Bandersnatch, but the Stranger Things games did not perform as well as they probably hoped.
- But maybe they aren't looking to make games, and just offer a bundle of games, similar to Apple's online subscription. Castlevania season 4 just came out and has been received quite well.
Amazon to buy MGM Studios for $8.45 billion
- Amazon is buying MGM Studios for $8.45 billion, the companies announced Wednesday, marking Amazon’s most ambitious move yet into the entertainment business.
- The deal is Amazon’s second-largest acquisition. It paid $13.7 billion for Whole Foods in 2017.
- Amazon said it hopes to leverage MGM’s storied filmmaking history and wide-ranging catalog of 4,000 films and 17,000 TV shows to help bolster Amazon Studios, its film and TV division.
Brand trust is at an all-time low
In its 12th year, Havas Group’s landmark study of brand value, surveying over 395,000 people around the world, uncovers deepening cynicism, alongside a growing expectation gap in consumers’ relationships with brands and businesses.
- 75% of brands could disappear and would be easily replaced
- 71% of people surveyed have little faith that brands will deliver on their promises.
- Less than half of brands - 47% - are seen as trustworthy
A Burger Chain Advertising on OnlyFans
Carl's Jr. and Hardee's created an OnlyFans account and began releasing videos with some risqué tones. Their Hot and Hand-Breaded channel plays off the NSFW reputation of the platform and the videos posted featured mannequin hands caressing burger buns.
Have a Question?
We'd love to know what's on your mind - submit your questions and we'll try to answer them!